Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cheeseburger Pie


Duane brought me home a recipe from work last week! Mrs. Brenda, whom I adore and Duane gets the pleasure to work with, gave it to him to give to me and he kept asking me when I was going to make it. I had stuck it away in my old recipe binder when I was cleaning the counter off and if you've ever seen my old recipe binder you'd know it was going to be lost to the world!

So I called Duane up on my way home from work and asked him to brave that old recipe binder and find the Cheeseburger Pie recipe from Mrs. Brenda! He was up to the challenge and after shuffling through the many folded up recipes that I put in that old binder he found it and gave me the ingredients over the phone. Luckily, there were only 6 items that I didn't have and needed to pick up at the store. My memory isn't all that great and if it had been 7 items I'm sure I would have forgotten one of them! You should have heard me all the way to the store: ground beef, 8oz tomato sauce, sharp cheddar, onion, bell pepper, pie shell, ground beef, 8oz tomato sauce...and, well, you get the picture.

I made that Cheeseburger Pie tonight and now I'm kicking myself for filing it away last week, because I'm sure the girls would have loved to eat it. Guess I'll have to make it again next week.


The only thing that I would change when making it for kids is to saute the onion and bell pepper to soften it up a bit before baking it in the pie. I enjoyed the crunch it gave the pie, but I don't think the girls will, and the softer it is, the less they notice it :)

RECIPE

Filling:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 TSP oregano
1/2 TSP salt
1/4 TSP pepper
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup fine/dry bread crumbs
8 oz tomato sauce
1 frozen pie shell

Cheese Topping:
8 oz sharp cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 TSP salt
1/2 TSP mustard
1/2 TSP worchestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 425.

Brown ground beef and drain.
Add the rest of the filling ingredients to ground beef and mix well.
Put filling in pie shell.

Mix cheese topping ingredients together and spread it over the top of the pie.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. was trying to think of something different to do with ground beef, then remembered seeing this on your blog - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ~ we loved it!!!
    thanks for the recipe Steph!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I still haven't made it for the girls. Soon though!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments ... leave me one please :)